Author Topic: MUNICIPALIDAD DE LADINOS DE SAN CRISTOBAL.  (Read 2611 times)

Farley Katz

• View Profile
Re: MUNICIPALIDAD DE LADINOS DE SAN CRISTOBAL.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 08:44:32 PM »
De nada.
Farley
Farley Katz
San Antonio

Martin "Spuff" Spufford

• View Profile
Re: MUNICIPALIDAD DE LADINOS DE SAN CRISTOBAL.lot jw792
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 01:12:37 PM »
Dear Farley,
Many thanks to you for ALL  that information.
I have listed it under both Mexico and Guatemala and have quoted you verbatim.
Hope that is OK.
spuff

Farley Katz

• View Profile
Re: MUNICIPALIDAD DE LADINOS DE SAN CRISTOBAL.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 08:53:13 AM »
                 I looked into this a little.  It appears that in the nineteenth century Guatemala had dual systems of municipal governments, one called “Municipalidad de Ladinos” or “Municipalidad de ladinos y españoles”, the other "Municipalidad de indígenas".  See http://www.ub.edu/geocrit/sn/sn-218-36.htm   The former administered the Ladinos ("the Spanish-speaking population that did not belong to the colonial elite of Peninsulares or Criollos, nor to the indigenous peoples." Wikipedia); the latter governed the native population.
A stamp group exists, the International Society of Guatemala Collectors, which may have more information.  See http://www.guatemalastamps.com/content.aspx?page_id=0&club_id=358347  They published a book "The Postal Marking of Guatemala, Sus Marcas Postales, Parts I & II, described as a "comprehensive listing of the postal markings of Guatemala from 1768 to the present day." 
I assume that your cover originated in Guatemala.  There are a number of towns named San Cristóbal, including one in the Totonicapán Department, in southwest Guatemala.  Based on the handwriting, I would assume it is mid to late 19th century. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 09:00:36 AM by Farley Katz »
Farley Katz
San Antonio

Martin "Spuff" Spufford

• View Profile
MUNICIPALIDAD DE LADINOS DE SAN CRISTOBAL.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 06:29:18 PM »
Here is a very interesting front.

1) anyone care to hazard a guess as to its date?
2). Was this municipality a sort of white/mestizo (as opposed to Mayan) suburb of San Cristobal with a separate administration?
3) Do you think this was (or was used as) a postal marking?
4)Any other interesting information much appreciated.
We (I) see very little from this early part of Mexico.
it is really beautiful and was sent to Totonicapam in the Intendencia of Guatemala.
thanks spuff