Author Topic: 50c - Tipo, Reprint or Legit?  (Read 2110 times)

James Ford

• View Profile
Re: 50c - Tipo, Reprint or Legit?
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 02:29:09 PM »

I just hunted down John Bash's article on The Reprints of the 1868 Issue (Mexicana, July 1984 p106-7) and the description and images show that Fritz is right on the money (as usual).

In the attached copy of the MEXICO blocks at the top of the 1868 stamps from Bash's article, the marks inside the C of MEXICO are certainly consistent enough, even though my reproduction is not very good, to be positive proof that my stamp shown below is a reprint.

Again, thank you Fritz.

James

James Ford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 12:27:32 AM »

Hi Fritz,

Thank you.  It didn't occur to me to check the 1872 shipments.

Now, at least, I have an example of a forged Cuernavaca overprint and a bogus SZ 219.  ;-)

James

Fritz Aebi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 08:14:30 PM »
Hi James
You got here a perfect example of a reprint. The spots in the upper part, i.e. inside the letters CO of Mexico, but also above the word Mexico, are a good sign. Therefore overprints and cancellation are also fake. Another mistake made by the forgers is the year overprint: Cuernavaca did not receive any 50 C. stamps of this issue overprinted 72.
Fritz

James Ford

• View Profile
50c - Tipo, Reprint or Legit?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 11:42:36 AM »

Is this stamp a Tipo, a reprint or legit?

I have it identified as: 
Mexico 1868 Scott 62 50c Black on Yellow Hidalgo Type 5 Cuernavaca 24 72 SZ 219

As I was sorting through my 1868's, I noticed that either the stamp was somewhat speckled from sloppy cancellation, poor handling or had "slight flaws and spots on the stamp, due, according to John Bash, to corrosion on the master die."  (Heath and Stout on Reprints p 135).  The examples on Heath and Stout's color plate 8 are also suspiciously from Cuernavaca.

Because the overprint and cancel seem right, I find it difficult to believe that it is an 1890's reprint. And, since I really couldn't see the district number (24), I was sort of hoping it might be a Tipo rather than a reprint.  Perhaps I am just clutching at straws but my inexperience with the 68's makes it a difficult determination for me.

I would hope that by publically sharing my ignorance, rather than just submitting this rascal for a cert, it will provoke someone who is knowledgeable about the 68's to be kind enough to share their knowledge, help educate us MexiMail fans, and put me out of my misery.

Thanks large,

James