Author Topic: Maxi 7c litho variety not in NF catalog  (Read 3106 times)

Rodolfo Torres Vazquez

• MEPSI Member
    • View Profile
    • RTV/Stamps
Re: Maxi 7c litho variety not in NF catalog
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 05:50:08 PM »
Farley Katz: - Fayolle: “There are also a certain number of varieties, resulting from the relative imperfectness of the printing process”.

The 7c it have plentiful flaws, "1" instead "7", "0" plane, deformed letters of "ANO" of "MEXICANO" , etc.   "1" it looks  as "I" (for me).  Here a 7c with an big white dot instead "7" (72-1866, Veracruz) and deformed letters (in my eBay Auction) - (58-1866, S.L.P.).
Regards!
Rodolfo
I like Mexican Philately!

Jean-Claude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 03:13:24 PM »
Excellent remark Farley. So they picked up the notes of the Chapman catalog  issued 4 years earlier. It is amazing Nick do not mention it; I wonder why ? JC

Farley Katz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 02:46:50 PM »
  De Smeth & Fayolle, Les Premieres Emissions du Mexique (1856 a 1874) , p. 208, noted that “There are also a certain number of varieties, resulting from the relative imperfectness of the printing process”.   They only mentioned one variety for the 7 centavos in which “The figure to the right is a 1.”  Page 26 of the accompanying catalog stated:  “Price of the ordinary to be doubled.”  That seems too conservative if there is only one flaw per sheet, but maybe they considered demand. 
Farley Katz
San Antonio

Jean-Claude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 01:09:13 PM »
Good Manuel; these confirm the cosntant "variety". I am anxious to see what Mark will find... JC

Manuel Iglesias

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 08:30:33 PM »
Sorry for the mistake.
Here is the Scan.
Manuel.

Manuel Iglesias

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 08:24:53 PM »
Jean-Claude, Mark, Meximailers,
I did find 2 in my collection both from S.P.Luis Potosi 12. 1866 and 58.1866. Scans en closed.In checking the stamps I did find 3 more constant flaws on my stamps that I would like to point out: 1. Oblique scratch involving head and neck right side, 2. Nick in the inner oval on the right at the level of the period and 3. Flat "O" of Mexicano at the top.With this info we are dealing with a constant flaws on the same stamp Position unknown.
Best regards.
Manuel.

Mark Banchik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 12:47:22 PM »
Hi all,
Appears to be more related to over/wet inking then a true 'consistent' variety.Will check my holdings to see if either theory is supported.
Mark

Jean-Claude

• View Profile
Maxi 7c litho variety not in NF catalog
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 12:34:00 PM »
When reviewing the CHAPMAN auction catalog, I noted at lots 670 (Apam-34) and 680 (Guanajuato-4) the following comment : 7 centavos showing the variety "1" for "7" (constant), extremely rare, see photo plate III. There is no 7c variety quoted in NF catalog, at least in my 2007 edition ! I looked in my collection and found one case that seems to correspond on a San Luis -58 7c stamp. Here is a scan of my stamp. Can anyone confirm the existence of this variety, the position of the stamp in the plate since is is said to be constant and any other presence in another consignment. The variety is on the right side 7C. JCI try to scan and show the two stamps of the Chapman collection herewith
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 12:46:20 PM by Jean-Claude »