Author Topic: Falta de Porte  (Read 656 times)

Bryan Axtell

• View Profile
Re: Falta de Porte
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 09:12:32 PM »
Better include the scan of the front maybe?

Bryan Axtell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 09:11:07 PM »
I have one on cover cancelled in Mexico, sent to Morelia.  I always understood these were a fake promotion.

Mike Roberts

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 06:03:56 PM »
The Falta de Porte appear (note use of word) to have served the purpose of indicating a lack of postage on the mail piece.

Whether that was due to a lack of stamps in the local post office or the mailer had none, I don't know.

These are definitely not stamps. They are labels, thus considered "cinderellas:.

I have had these stamps come out of collections, but not on cover. I thought about this issue that was the instigation of Joaquin Escalante, the same guy that brought us the so-called Colima overprints on the Large Numeral issues. I thought about whether this issue was highlighted in Mexicana and a search revieled an article by Phillips B Freer. It was posted in the July 1980 issue of Mexicana. Page 54-57. The article shows some on cover use without post office cancel. Well, one has manuscript lines through it. There are two singles pictured that do have cancel. The last sentence of the article says it all, '"I agree with the opinion of Mr Strauss. The Falta de Porte Stamps are a Mexicana "Cinderella" item.""

Bubba Bland

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 12:20:02 PM »
I have had these stamps come out of collections, but not on cover. I thought about this issue that was the instigation of Joaquin Escalante, the same guy that brought us the so-called Colima overprints on the Large Numeral issues. I thought about whether this issue was highlighted in Mexicana and a search revieled an article by Phillips B Freer. It was posted in the July 1980 issue of Mexicana. Page 54-57. The article shows some on cover use without post office cancel. Well, one has manuscript lines through it. There are two singles pictured that do have cancel. The last sentence of the article says it all, '"I agree with the opinion of Mr Strauss. The Falta de Porte Stamps are a Mexicana "Cinderella" item.""
A collector of Dos Reales of the first design. Always having fun.

Marc Gonzales

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Falta de Porte
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 12:43:56 PM »
Meximailers,
A MEPSI member has inquired about Falta de Porte stamps.  I see they are listed in Celis Cano with 11 varieties issued in 1892 and I see them listed occasionally on ebay, however I don't believe I have seen a genuine usage.

Can anyone give information on their purpose, usage and have an example on cover?  Thank you.
Marc