MexiMail

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new and improved MexiMail

Author Topic: Censored envelope that has lost its tape  (Read 209 times)

Mike Ludeman

• View Profile
Re: Censored envelope that has lost its tape
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 11:09:50 PM »
Civia,
I will assume you are describing the cellophane censor tape used by the US censorship offices.
If the cover is important for a reason other than the censorship, e.g., it is a registered or special delivery cover, etc., then I do nothing but preserve the cellophane tape.  You can place it inside the envelope or inside the sleeve the cover is stored in. 
As part of a collection of censored mail, you might consider the following.  There are often two separate pieces of the tape:  One has the words "EXAMINED BY" and the other has the 4 or 5 digit Examiner number.  If the number has importance to your interest in the cover, for example, you are collecting censor mail handled by a particular office, then you might want to reattach the two pieces of tape back in their original positions.  You could use a piece of stamp hinge, or for inexpensive items, I simply place a couple of small dots of white glue on the tape, and put the tape back into position. 
Obviously for scarce or unusual censor tapes or examiner numbers, you might also want to just do nothing here.

Civia Tuteur

• View Profile
Censored envelope that has lost its tape
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 11:48:13 AM »
What does one do when the tape that the censor has applied on an envelope sent during WW IIcomes off? Does one glue it back on? Leave it off or what? How important are these tapes?Civia Tuteur