Author Topic: 50c Cancel Identification  (Read 167 times)

Colin Deane

• View Profile
Re: 50c Cancel Identification
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 02:04:54 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts on this Bubba.

SLP Scz 1460 does fit - the lighter of the two cancels on the stamp does look like the OSI of Potosi with the correct spacing to the Franco and the heavier cancel has the LU of Luis.

The more I look at the district number it does not look like anything other than a 2 (I am pretty sure it is not a 5), so could be Veracruz, but there is some light ink to the left of the 2 which could make it a double digit district number.

Colin

Bubba Bland

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 50c Cancel Identification
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 12:27:05 PM »
Colin,

Looks like a tipo to me, and likely used in SLP so try Sz 1460 for a fit. Very likely if a tipo the consignment number could be a '2' for VCZ.

Bubba
A collector of Dos Reales of the first design. Always having fun.

Colin Deane

• View Profile
50c Cancel Identification
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 04:23:41 PM »
I have had this stamp in my "to be identified" pile for a long time and have not come up with anything.  It originally came from a MEPSI circuit book and was identified as Maravatio, which does not appear to be the case.

The district number is non-existant/unreadable.  I think I can see a faint 2, but not sure on that.  The identifiable letters in the circular cancel look to me like LU, but I have not come up with a cancel to match.  Anybody have any ideas on which district/town this might be?

Colin