Author Topic: ebay, Boring???  (Read 456 times)

Bubba Bland

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: ebay, Boring???
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 04:52:19 PM »
Rodolfo,

Thank you for your reply. I want you to know that eBay is not dead and there are new collectors of Mexican material all the time. Each week I add another 2 to 6 people on my message subscription that have just bought material from me. About half of the sales are from BIN and the rest are from my weekly auction lots on eBay. It does not seem like a lot of new clients to add to the list, but over the time I have been putting out my message since Jan. 2016 the list has grown from around 400 members to over a thousand. Yes I have unsubscribes at one or two every week or so. Most have been on my list for years. So, I feel really good about our part of the stamp hobby.

I can understand you not buying from eBay, and I rarely have the time to look for material as I use to do many years past. There are good buys to be had, but it does take work. Actually, it is in auction lots that most of my new clients buy from. but then they turn to my BIN list even with the duplication of lots. They find good stamps that many, yes many collectors have overlooked. In my auction lots this week and next, I will have a lot of items that have pulled off eBay due to not selling. I have redone the lot and put in prices that are sometimes 40% less than what I had been asking before. As the old saying goes, 'You cannot eat your merchandice, so it is better to sell it even if at a loss than it is to hang onto it forever."

Have a good day and be safe in this time of peril,

Bubba
A collector of Dos Reales of the first design. Always having fun.

Rodolfo Torres Vazquez

• MEPSI Member
    • View Profile
    • RTV/Stamps
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 06:41:54 PM »
Message read. I respect his point of view and for my part I no longer give an answer for not creating any controversy. In any case, I  already have more than 6 months that I stopped of buying on ebay.  Thanks again for your reply!

Best regards my friend!
Rodolfo
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 08:18:51 PM by Rodolfo Torres Vazquez »
Angry with fate.  Someone or something does not let me collect in peace!!!

Bubba Bland

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 03:07:21 PM »
Rodolfo,

Boring as it may be, it is not what I expected or wanted to be done with my lots when I signed up with 'Webinterpret' listing all my BIN in 6 other eBay sites outside the US eBay that I have been on for years. It actually cost me more than I make most months, but I did this to reach collectors all over the world in their language and in their payment currency. It has been successful in that I have gained more new collectors that are also likely to start seeing your lots up on eBay as well. I believe that most of these duplicate listings are grouped together, so the viewer can thumb though these at a pretty fast past. As for taking up space other collector/sellers have up on eBay, do what I do and each week notify their buyers with a link that directed them to only their lots. But, this takes work on the sellers part. I send these links with my message that is going to over a thousand collectors each week. I make my message an important part of Mexican Philately, talking about subject that are interesting and fruitful for their collecting efforts.

Now talk about boring, dealers that list all their items too high priced, long list of the same thing they do not collect or put up penny lots of unimportant stamps everyone has already. I learned quickly when I first started out selling on ebay around 20 years ago. If sellers only sell stuff they do not want, no one else wants them either. If you look at my auction lots every week the stamps vary a great deal. Not all of them are expensive, but all are started out at a fair price and I tell the viewer of all the good qualities and faulty conditions if they have any. I get around 2 or 3 returns a year and mostly due to my mistakes. If the buyer does not get the item in the mail, I almost always either replace it or refund their money. This happens more when I send to Mexico than anywhere else in the world, but I know that Mexico is a good market for Mexican stamps and what I pay out in losses, is covered by the stamps and postal history they receive and love.

So, be a little more understanding of what is happening on eBay and do not judge the sellers as much as the methods eBay has.

Bubba
A collector of Dos Reales of the first design. Always having fun.

Rodolfo Torres Vazquez

• MEPSI Member
    • View Profile
    • RTV/Stamps
ebay, Boring???
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 05:18:58 PM »

Now I know why some collectors who buy Mexico are almost gone; 2 have told me that they get bored of seeing the same material in up to 17 pages in a row, 6 times the same timbre in different currencies, boring !!!!!!!!, that they have told me and I think they are right, I also get bored and I hardly buy, it's very cumbersome (sometimes the search button it not have an correct function.).

I don't know why some sellers have taken that "technique" that takes visibility away from other sellers.  Any opinion?

Regards!
Rodolfo
Angry with fate.  Someone or something does not let me collect in peace!!!