Author Topic: 1868 50c Blue Color Error Research Article Request  (Read 1331 times)

Colin Deane

• View Profile
Re: 1868 50c Blue Color Error Research Article Request
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 11:32:19 AM »
Update to original scans request.

The number of identified 50c blue Hidalgo color errors is now up to 37.  Fritz Aebi kindly referred me to the Corinphila Edition D’or publication featuring the Rolf-Dieter Jaretzky Mexico collection which illustrates 17 copies of this stamp!  Nine of them are new copies to the census that did not go through auction sales in the past 50 plus years.
Manuel: To clarify - this 50c blue color error occurred in late 1868 on the first printing of thick figure of value stamps (1868 invoices only) and resulted from a 50c cliche being inserted by mistake in the 25c printing plate resulting in one 50c blue stamp in each sheet of 100 stamps.  The stamp color is the standard 25c blue color on pinkish paper, rather than the black on yellow paper used for the 50c stamps.

Manuel Iglesias

• View Profile
Re: 1868 50c Blue Color Error Research Article Request
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 08:12:09 PM »
Colin,

It will be easier for the non collecting 68 people like myself, for you to send a picture of what you are looking in particular (pure blue, blue green, thin or thick numbers, etc.....)

Best regards,

Manuel.

Colin Deane

• View Profile
1868 50c Blue Color Error Research Article Request
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 01:43:36 PM »
I am preparing an article for submission to Mexicana on the 1868 50c blue color error.  When Doug Stout and John Heath produced their handbook on the 1868 issue in 2005 they identified a total of 14 copies of this error based on auction sales, but did not illustrate or identify all of them.  I have just done some updated research based on Mexico specialty auction catalogues going back over 70 years and have identified a total of 28 distinct copies of this error stamp.  The article I am preparing will document each individual stamp and include a picture of each stamp and cover.  I have scans of all 28 stamps, but many are black and white pictures taken by scanning the photo plates of the old auction catalogues.  I do have high quality scans of around 25%-30% of the stamps from more recent auction sales where a good quality picture was available online.
If any Meximail participants have a copy of this error stamp, or know somebody who does,  I would love to get a good scan of the stamp to include in the article and replace what will otherwise likely be a low quality black and white image.  Here is your chance to have one of your unique stamps recorded in Mexicana.
500dps or 600dps scans would be ideal.  I can be reached at:  colindeane@ica.net