Author Topic: Cancel ID help  (Read 5934 times)

Steve Brace

• 1874-1883s
    • View Profile
Re: Cancel ID help
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 02:13:43 PM »
For all who are interested, I have the copy of Karl's 'working update' book that he was keeping before he died.  It does have many hundreds of additional entries and corrections from the published version.  If anyone has a cancellation that is not listed, please send me a scan (lsbrace@earthlink.net) and I will see if it matches any of the new information.  Steve Brace

Rich Daffner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 03:01:54 PM »
Karl was always collecting new cancel discoveries from his sources.  He had compiled many additions to his book.  It is now as we speak being extensivly updated by his successor in cancels.
I have a very thin skin for the way certain issues are described.  Karl requested new cancels be sent to him as he was well aware that the book was not complete (see also Odjfell on this matter).  The hunt for new discoveries goes on - always. 

Bubba Bland

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 02:57:10 PM »
After Karl Schimmer put out his book on the later 19th cenury cancellations it became apparent that many of the unknown cancels were not shown and people started to let him know they had copies of those cancels. From 1977 on in Mexicana these findings would be published on newly found cancels for a number of years by Schimmer and others. The problem I have, is I am missing most of those copies of Mexicana that have these cancels in them.

Actually, these should have been compiled into a file that anyone can add to the book, which has yet to be redone some 33 years later.
A collector of Dos Reales of the first design. Always having fun.

Héctor Ramírez Gallo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 02:01:17 PM »
Hello

It is incredible that even nowadays there are new discoveries regarding cancellations. And this in a different stamp issues of Mexico. Hopefully over time we use this forum are encouraged to show cancellations and thus they can be given the richness of philately

Bubba Bland

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 10:32:32 AM »
Hopefully someone else will come up with a cancel that will show us what this may be.

Héctor Ramírez Gallo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 10:01:40 PM »
Hi

Sorry Cuautepec instead of Cuatepec

Bubba Bland

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 07:20:53 PM »
I also think METEPEC is the most likely for size on this rather small cancel.

Héctor Ramírez Gallo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 02:39:30 PM »
Hello Bubba

And thanks for your help with the questions in the Big Numerals.

Unfortunately, there are several towns with the ending "TEPEC" and likewise in the book of the matching Schimmer such termination are marked "Not seen yet"
Those towns that are listed are:
- CUAUTEPEC (SAN ANTONIO) probably were abbreviated as S.A. CUAUTEPEC
- METEPEC
- TEZONTEPEC ADM. TULA "I think this town is not from the cancellation -
- TEZONTEPEC ADM. PACHUCA-Likewise I do not think either the cancellation of illustrations
- TUTOTEPEC-Due to the length of the word not think it is the cancellation 
What this allows the cancellation between Cuautepec and Metepec, though probably due to the length of the word Cuautepec also not the town of cancellation METEPEC finally leaving.

Separate point of reference is the book's the town name is misspelled, Cuatepec instead of Cuatepec.

And thanks again

Bonita cancellation. Congratulations

Bubba Bland

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Cancel ID help
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 10:39:48 AM »
I picked up this stamp recently. It isn't in the best of shape, but the cancel is a mystery all the same.

Can someone point to what this cancel may be. My thought are that the last letters should read EPEC, likely the ending for Something TEPEC.  But nothing comes up under the close area around Apam outside of Metepec, also in the same State of Hidalgo. Schimmer list this, but with no cancel having been seen.

Any help would be helpful.