Author Topic: Question about Schatzkès Cat.  (Read 2563 times)

Jesper Andersen

• MEPSI Publications
  • Administrator
  • Strategery!
    • View Profile
    • Mexican Eagles 1864-66
Re: Question about Schatzkès Cat.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 04:41:39 PM »
  • Schatzkes / Schimmer point values may or may not be an accurate measure of rarity. Some 10 point cancels are hard to find, while some 20 point cancels are easy. We learn something new every day.
  • S/S rarity values are for COMPLETE strikes. Not many cancels fit on a single stamp...
  • The monetary value of a point was set at 1/5 (one fifth) the value of a common 1856 1r stamp. If an 1856 1r is valued at $5 today, then one S/S point = $1.

There are a few problems with this system. First, read item 1) again. Next, the "desirability factor" is a subjective measurement, which in my opinion makes it useless.

I think that MOST of the cancels listed at 25 points or less are obtainable (i.e. not rare). 25 to 50 point cancels are not easy to find and the higher point values indicate rare cancels. So, in the end, you have to decide for yourself how much YOU think a cancel is worth.

In my opinion, 25 point cancels and less are worth less than $1 per point. The 100 point and up cancels may be worth much more than $1 per point.

I also believe that the clarity of the impression is important - a spot of "mud" is not worth the same as a crystal clear impression.

Cancels from Chichicastepupu are always worth $0 - or less  ;D
Please let me know if you can't read this.

Randall Grace

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 12:19:43 AM »
The Schatzke's numbers remain a marker of approximate "rarity" but are of course do have occasional errors as to whether a cancel exists on a particular issue and whether it is exactly that degree of "rarity" but functions as a basis for how we view a cancel on classic stamps of Mexico. It is confusing for most collectors. I use the "Stout" interpretation of Schatzke, namely a 15/3=45 points of a cancel (15=rarity, 3= popularity of a cancel). Overall stamp value=stamp+cancel value, at 45 points times 1/5 converts french francs to US dollars= $31.50(this may not be the current currency conversion). If stamp value(NF) is $2.50 then 31.50 added gives overall value of $34.00. If on cover, add 1.5 times value here = $51.00. Updates of Schatzke remain a quest for many Mexico collectors and there are several contributing to this effort however I am not certain of the current status. You will also note that stamp dealers price based on additional factors with costs, market status, issue popularity, stamp condition to name only a few and not use the Schatzke valuation solely. I would be interested as to how other collectors use the valuations in Schatzke. RR Grace

Rodolfo Torres Vazquez

• MEPSI Member
    • View Profile
    • RTV/Stamps
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 04:42:12 PM »
 ;D  Thanks for your welcome ande reply.   The Schatzkès refer 1 point = 1 french franc,  but I thought  that would be different after of many years.

Your formula sound good of 50 point = 20.00$, which is a 40%.  Maybe will be interesting to know about the members how they calculate the points.  Thanks again!

Regards,
Rodolfo
I like Mexican Philately!

Martin "Spuff" Spufford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 04:06:05 PM »
Welcome Rodolfo,
Im afraid it is not quite as simple as that.

The points are degrees of rarity of 1 cancellation versus another.

You can get a cancel with 0 value on a stamp of great intrinsic value where the value is in the stamp not in the cancel.For example 1856 Tlalpujahua rate "0" but the stamps do not. In other words the cancel has added nothing to the value of the used stamp as that is the commonly found cancel on this issue.

There is a formula to calculate the value of the point but I am sure nobody uses it-
The whole point is to give a damn good guide to the significance of the cancel on each of the classic issues.

Where there are 2 numbers  such as 50/4 this really means that a cancel on stamp has a value of 50 points and a complete cancel on cover or piece would have a value of 50 x 4= 200. Anyway that's my interpretation of Sz and that is how I have always used it.

When it comes to vauluing a stamp with say a 50 point cancel I would add 20$ to the start price on top of a %age of the NF cat value.

I am sure there will be lots more answers but this will kick it off.

Its a big question with a few words,
spuff

Rodolfo Torres Vazquez

• MEPSI Member
    • View Profile
    • RTV/Stamps
Question about Schatzkès Cat.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 03:48:25 PM »
 ;D  Hello friends!

New here!, thanks Bubba!!.   8)   I would like to know what is the value of a point in the catalogue of Schatzkès?.  Thanks for your help in advance!

Regards,
Rodolfo
I like Mexican Philately!