Author Topic: Chiapas Postal Service in mid-1860’s.  (Read 4070 times)

Marc Gonzales

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Chiapas Postal Service in mid-1860’s.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 05:06:15 PM »
Per Mark Banchik's article it is interesting to note the remainders on hand of 1861 stamps would have handled the stamp needs after the Imperial forces took over most of Mexico.  The Imperial forces of Maximilian never gained control of Chiapas state, and little control off and on of the Yucatan I believe.  So you will find 1861 Hidalgo Chiapas stamps readily available but to date no covers have been recorded which show provisional use for 1865-67.  We can only estimate when the Hidalgo 61 supply of stamps were exhausted, what we do know is the Chiapas Provisionals stamps first appeared in late 1866.  So one might surmise the 61 supply may have ended about that time.  Someday perhaps an 1861 stamp on cover datable to 1865 or 1866 will turn up. There are stampless covers known during this period, but relatively scarce.

Mark Banchik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 06:34:29 PM »
Chiapas had quantities of 1861 issue on hand which lasted well into (May/June) 1867. See my MEXICANA article on this a few years back. Provisionals introduced after 1861 supplies exhausted. No Eagles or Maxi's were sent to district.
Mark Banchik

Jesper Andersen

• MEPSI Publications
  • Administrator
  • Strategery!
    • View Profile
    • Mexican Eagles 1864-66
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 08:01:03 PM »
I just noticed that there's a small census in the NF catalog. There are a little more than 100 copies known in total, it would seem.
Please let me know if you can't read this.

Walter

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 11:14:18 AM »
The Jaretzky collection (see Edition d'Or vol.II, issued 2006 by Heinrich Köhler) shows 2 singles, a pair and 3 covers w. pairs of the medio real, 2 covers, one with a pair of the 1 real, 2 covers with the 2r, 3 singles and a bisect and 6 covers with the 4r 2 with bisects), 1 single on piece 1 cover with bisect and 2 covers with quadrisects of the 8 reales. One could get the impression that this collection contains most of the still existing examples of this issue. I wonder if anyone knows more about that.
Walter Widmaier

Colin Deane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 10:46:19 AM »
Should have mentioned the 1866-1868 Chiapas Provisional issue in my initial post on Chiapas postal service in the mid-1860's.  These provisionals are so scarce they do not appear to have accounted for a significant portion of the mail likely to have been sent from San Christobal, Tuxtla, Tonala and other Chiapas sub offices during this period - my guess is less than 5%, based on the numbers of 1856/61 and 1868 stamps available, compared to the rarity of the provisional.

Colin Deane

• View Profile
Chiapas Postal Service in mid-1860’s.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 10:36:31 AM »
Can anyone shed any light on Chiapas postal services during the period 1864 to 1867.  1856 and 1861 issue stamps from Chiapas (San Christobal) and sub-offices such as Tuxtla are readily available – not common, but not really scarce either.  Same for the 1868 Hidalgo issue. 

However, no Eagles or Maxis were sent to Chiapas.  I have been looking for over a year for any sello negro cover from Chiapas for this period and have seen nothing.  Pre-stamp covers from Chiapas are quite common  - currently I can find more than 6 on offer from Tonala on eBay and various dealer inventories.

I rather doubt that the volume of mail deteriorated materially in 1864 and then suddenly picked up again in 1868.  Based on covers I have seen, there was always quite a mail flow between Chiapas and Guatemala and troubles in Mexico probably did not materially affect this. 

So, where are the Chiapas postal items and stamps from 1864 to 1867?  Does anybody have any covers or stamps from this period or anything they can share on how the postal service worked, or a reason for the apparent lack of postal items from this period.