Author Topic: 1868 covers with out-of-district stamps attached  (Read 1894 times)

Bubba Bland

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 1868 covers with out-of-district stamps attached
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 09:05:37 AM »
Thanks Spuff for sharing these with us. One of the things some of the viewers may wonder is why these are not Tipos especially the ones with the Mexico City Cancel? The tip off is the date of the stamps on those two Mexico covers. Tipos were not really in use during 1869, since the flood of these stamps came in 1870 and 1871. Not that it is impossible to find a '69 dated tipo, it is just highly unlikely, because it is said that it is thought only a sheet or two at most were produced.

Actually if the two covers with the Mexico City cancels were tipo stamps used, they would be very rare because of what is said above. Matamoros used in Tampico isn't odd because of their rather close proximity and large amount of correspondence between each other. Nevertheless, this is still a nice example you have, and not common either.

A collector of Dos Reales of the first design. Always having fun.

Martin "Spuff" Spufford

• View Profile
1868 covers with out-of-district stamps attached
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 05:12:41 PM »
Referring to my "1856" Tlalpujahua out-of-district cancel query, it was by pure co-incidence that Bubba's reply concerning out-of-district cancels came through just as I was describing 3 covers for my 15th August auction which show exactly, stamps of the wrong district used on lettersheets and which are NOT tipos.
Here are 3 examples of this usage.
A Gda stamp used in Mexico.
A Jalapa stamp used in Mexico and a Tampico stamp used in Matamoros.
All 3 have complete letter contents confirming origin.