Author Topic: 6c THIN FIGURE overprinted 1-70 and with APAM additional name  (Read 2553 times)

Martin "Spuff" Spufford

• View Profile
Re: 6c THIN FIGURE overprinted 1-70 and with APAM additional name
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 10:39:25 PM »
 :) ;D :D Well Fritz I was right and lucky to have spotted it!!! Definitely plenty of "WOW" factor there!!!!!!!! ::) ::)

I shall enjoy it  ;D  for the short period I still have it.
I will start it at a steal price of $499.99 and it will go up on ebay on 23rd January.

Whoever paid Nick $687.50 for the Doug Stiout copy lot 651 will be jealous of the winner of this copy unless of course he reads this and buys the this,the 2nd only copy known to exist!!

Thanks for that most welcome news and aren't we lucky to have Meximail to discover these great stamps lurking unnoticed for years in our collections.

spuff

Fritz Aebi

• View Profile
Re: 6c THIN FIGURE overprinted 1-70 and with APAM additional name
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 05:48:25 PM »
Hi Spuff and Meximailers,

Go back to Nick's last auction (sale 21 of October 24, 2009) and lot 651 shows you another copy. It sold for $625 + commission.

Best regards, Fritz

Martin "Spuff" Spufford

• View Profile
6c THIN FIGURE overprinted 1-70 and with APAM additional name
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 04:48:42 PM »
 :)  This could be very exciting!!!!!!!!!   

I was just describing this 6c used MEXICO+Apam (with name) 1-70 when I noticed (when I went to identify the transfer type) that it is not Scott 65 as per the certificate at all but a THIN FIGURE 1870!!   

As far as i know these did not exist and I can find nothing in Doug's book about the subject.

The certificate strangely enough does not mention the "1-70" but the photo is definitely  of the stamp in question and IS a thin figure "6c".   

attached are scans of the stamp itself,
The certificate and 3 stamps for comparison.   

The top one an ordinary thin figure 1869 6c
The middle one is your stamp with thin "6c" and an 1-70 overprint and
the bottom one is a 6c thick figure for comparison.   

Submitted by Schimmer for mepsi cert, signed by Bash but no mention of the anomaly.

Am I missing something very basic here or is this a "WOW" item?