Author Topic: Essays of the 1868 Issue?  (Read 1725 times)

Farley Katz

• View Profile
Re: Essays of the 1868 Issue?
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 10:22:51 PM »
OK, but what I really want to know is whether there any essays of the 1868 issue that differ in design (other than perhaps lacking value) from the issued stamp?
Farley Katz
San Antonio

Bubba Bland

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Essays of the 1868 Issue?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 01:46:40 PM »
Farley,

Any proof that lacks denomination or has it written ink by hand would be an essay. Any Proof of the hard die could only be considered a essay when the finally product was done from a lithography stone. So, most of what we consider as proofs are only essays.

It is possible to find un-overprinted stamps in mint condition, and maybe these were some sort of proof, but to prove this would be difficult if they were done on stamp paper.

Then according to Ingham, there are thick figure proofs done on white paper. They are lithographed, imperforate and ungummed. These actually are color trial proofs, due to the lack of color in the paper and the different inks used outside of black.
A collector of Dos Reales of the first design. Always having fun.

Farley Katz

• View Profile
Essays of the 1868 Issue?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:55:32 AM »
Do any true essays of the 1868 issue exist, that is, printed stamp designs that differ from the issued stamp?  Bash in "19th Century Proofs and Essays of Mexican Stamps" refers to "essays", but the only stamps he illustrates are die proofs of the engraved die, which in turn was used to make the lithographic master.  Ingham, "Catalog of the Proofs, Essays , etc. Stamps of Mexico" also illustrates only the same die proofs that Bash illustrates, although he calls some of those "essays."  My question is are there any actual essay designs that differ from the issued stamps?  (I am aware of the essay that has aspects similar to the 1868 and 1872 issues, which Bash and Ingham list under the 1872 issue.)

Gracias!
Farley Katz
San Antonio