Author Topic: New books - Catalogo de los Enteros Postales de Mexico" 1874-XX Century  (Read 10482 times)

Bubba Bland

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I am not a postal stationary collector, so I can't appreciate the depth of the study this book covers. On the other hand, I believe it is a beautiful publication, in that is has excellent pictures and in color. There is a lot of write up and detailed photos to accompany the full images of what is included in the books. If you can read Spanish, it seems to be a good book. The short comings are the valuations and the comprehensive aspects of the work.

Valuations are limited to only five categories, A-E, and these tell us very little, considering there is no separation between the mint and used. As far as I can tell this would be akin to saying common, difficult, scarce, rare or extremely rare. He list it as Corriente, Poco frecuente, Raro, Muy raro and Excepcional. Personally, I don't think the idea of rare can be broken down into three catagories, so I figure my ratings are more in line with the way an English speaking person would say them. Anyway, the question is, what is it? Mint or Used? I think that this area of the study needs the break down between the mint and used examples, or he would have been better to skip evaluations and forget the idea of a catalogue premise.

The second point that the book is not really comprehensive, for completeness, not showing all known items available to the collector. This is a problem, if this work is also to be considered as a catalogue. So, I can understand Jerry's point in this area as well. Care should have been taken to at least list items that are available even if the author could not produce picture copy of such items.

As for the books, I believe every collector of the postal stationary of Mexico should have one of these for the numerous details that are included on what is in the book. Personally as a seller of Postal Stationary, I feel it will be helpful in finding out things about some of these issues that are missing in other works, or let me say make them more understandable.

Bottom line is the work is of Sr. Zavala's personal collection, it is beautifully done and it does breath in the romance of collecting these items. I say, it is worth buying, if you understand it only goes so far as a catalogue. Treat it as an extended article on Mexican Postal Stationary.

A collector of Dos Reales of the first design. Always having fun.

Jerry Winerman

• View Profile
ALTHOUGH THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL CATALOG AND PICTURES SOME ITEMS NOT PICTURED BEFORE, IT IS A STEP BACKWARDS FROM BOTH THE EPS AND H&G CATALOGS IN FURTHERING KNOWLEDGE OF MEXICAN POSTAL STATIONERY.

Jorge Castillo

• View Profile
    • www.castlerockstamps.com
Dear Fernando and Mepsi Members.- Definitly there is a missinformation here. Firstable,  today, under the FIAP exhibition in Asuncion Paraguay,  it was a conference about this book by the author, and he explained how he develop the catalogue and why he published this way. Just for the record, this catalogue won today Grand Gold award under FIP international regulations, one of the highest recognition under the FIP rules for litterature class.

On the other hand, the author work, not only refers to his  own collection but granted also, a hugh and extensive bibliography, incluiding EPS catalogue, Higgings etc... but also many collectors worldwide on Postal Stationary who help him on this work.

Concerning the XX century, there are shown a couple of there on the book, but the author is still working on the fourth volume wich should be available soon.

I hope this clear your expectations.

Regards to all

Jorge Castillo
www.castlerockstamps.com

Fernando P-M

• Dealer Member
    • View Profile
    • La Filatelia Mexicana
The supplement of the EPS - MEPSI Catalogue published in 1976 includes the first of the Exporta Issue envelopes for surface and air mail, later on there were several other issues for the Exportas including Correograms ($3 Pesos Shoes) and then the cattle and meat with higher value due to inflation.

Besides there have been several other issues which go up to 2011 with a postcard for Mother's Day just a few days ago.

I also heard that the books altough very well treated and complete in terms of information is not a complete catalogue but only a listing of the author's collection.

Best regards,

Fernando Perez-Maldonado

Bob Watson

• View Profile
I understand through another source that there's nothing after 1959. That's odd since we know of other stationery items issued in the Exporta period, for example. Can anyone confirm this?
Bob

Jaime Benavides

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What is missing Jerry?
Jaime

Tad Mackie

• Administrator
  • So many stamps, so little time........
    • View Profile
After further research, the set of books appears to be a reflection of the author's collection, and although therefore it is of necessity not a complete treatment of Mexico's Postal Stationery, it is still an attractive set of books and represents a large investment of time and energy on the part of the author.
It is understood that there will be a complete review in the Postal Stationery Journal.

Jerry Winerman

• View Profile
THE ONLY COMMENTS i've seen are by nonstationery people.

Tad Mackie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Jerry -

Very good to know, since the reviews/listing seem to indicate otherwise.....

A couple of other links relating to these books:

http://fiaf-filatelia.com/publication/books_01.html#libro0

http://federacionmexicanadefilatelia.com/Evento.aspx?sec=11

Jerry Winerman

• View Profile
These volumes do NOT cover every item in Mex. Post. Stat., only the ones in his collection.

Tad Mackie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mike -

Thanks for the catch.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 08:48:53 PM by Tad Mackie »

Mike Roberts

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The correct URL is http://filateliahobby.es/tienda/shop.php?&vshopferca=cdb8068cb0b3ad80579c75587bb895ec&op_shop=shop&id_cat=76
The color information is part of the html code which only serves to confuse search engines.
Mike
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 08:50:30 PM by Tad Mackie »

Tad Mackie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A new set of books was recently published, in Spanish, "CATALOGO DE LOS ENTEROS POSTALES DE MEXICO" 1874-XX CENTURY", in three softbound volumes, full color, covering every item of Mexico postal stationery, describing paper, varieties, errors, etc.

Volume I covers from 1874 to 1984
Volume II covers from 1895 to 1899
Volume III covers the 20th century.

Apparently only 500 sets were printed, in Spain.  The Author is Arturo Ferrer Zavala, who graciously donated a set to MEPSI, where they will eventually reside in the MEPSI Library and be available for loan to members.  They are fairly heavy, so you can imagine they will be expensive to borrow because of the postage costs.  Therefore I have checked the availablity of these books for purchase and find that they are available from this website:

http://filateliahobby.es/tienda/shop.php?&vshopferca=cdb8068cb0b3ad80579c75587bb895ec&op_shop=shop&id_cat=76

in Spain at a price of 50 Euros for each volume (I'm not sure about shipping cost.)  This would be about $72 USD per volume (about $216 USD for the three volumes) plus whatever for shipping. 

They are also available on eBay from our dealer friend Castlerock:

http://cgi.ebay.com/M-2011-NEW-POSTAL-STATIONARY-CATALOGUE-CATALOGO-/270739433907?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0953e9b3#ht_500wt_922

According to the listing, the cost from Castlerock is $149.99 with free shipping.  At the time of this posting he had nine available.  (There would only be eight available but because my Spanish is not so good I am thinking about whether I should buy a set for my personal library.)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 08:49:59 PM by Tad Mackie »