Author Topic: Schimmer cancel survey  (Read 5243 times)

Fernando P-M

• Dealer Member
    • View Profile
    • La Filatelia Mexicana
Re: Schimmer cancel survey
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 08:18:06 PM »
I one had a chat with Dr. Schimmer and asked him for the reason to list by states rather than by postal districts and the reason he gave me is very simple.

The book goes further than the times of the postal districts; it goes up to 1900 thus the listings had to be done by state because there were no more postal districts.

Peter: in my auction catalogues you will find many unlisted postmarks including pictures of the items.

Best regards,

Fernando PM

Steve Brace

• 1874-1883s
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 02:40:43 PM »
I can only imagine the amount of work and time that it took Karl to put his book together.  However, it is NOT "user-friendly" for the 1874-83 issues student.  As Bubba points out, the organization by State makes looking up cancels within the same Postal District very challenging.  I am finding more and more early cancels listed in Schatzkes that should be added to Schimmer, but very few new ones that aren't in one or the other. 

Steve

Bubba Bland

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 10:19:42 AM »
Pete,

I don't know if this will help, but when I go through material I pick up  in collections or at auctions, most of the cancels that are difficult  to find in Schimmer's book are not missing, they are just not listed for  the issue. I rarely run into items that are shown not to be found. With  that said, this may be the reason that these Not Yet Found cancels are  still either rarely encountered by most of the collectors or have even  been identified as NYF items from most of the few people that actually  watch this web site.

Your best bet is to collaborate with Steve and search though Mexicana  for added notes on found cancels. I would bet you would come up with  the vast majority of any cancels that can be found. Now the tough part  is being able to disregard a lot of the listed cancels that can not be  found that have been erroneously listed.

If indeed anyone does do a remake of Schimmer's book I would suggest that they consider a more user friendly set up. Since cancels listed by states rather than districts seems to be so counter active for the collector use to Schatzkes set up with cancels listed under district rather than state it makes it much harder to find what they want. This is especially true for those stamps that we have with district names or consignment numbers which is of course the Banknote issues and the Foreign Mail issues. Later issues have cancels that are normally found by the names on the cancel, thus needed an index to find them anyway. Yes, I know that the district names were not anything one would consider for the later issues, It is either divide off the earlier district stamps and place them back into an expanded Schatzkes and make a new book covering the later issues by state, or use the districts as a starting point to find the cancels.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you or Steve don't give up on this project. It is very much needed.

A collector of Dos Reales of the first design. Always having fun.

Pete Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 11:35:05 PM »
Well, it has been about 3 months since my original post requesting a survey of NYS offices.....and so far I have recieved absolutely no response. A rather disappointing outcome. Either the NYS offices are still NYS or else the membership is too lazy to bother sending out information. This project was to be a start at possibly doing an update of Karl's cancel book. Without active participation from collectors that will never happen.

Steve Brace

• 1874-1883s
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 02:19:45 PM »
Pete, I have Karl's 'working copy' that he was annotating before he died.  It has hundreds of additions and corrections.  Steve

Pete Taylor

• View Profile
Schimmer cancel survey
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 06:43:16 PM »
In his book, The Postmarks of Mexico. 1874-1900, published in 1977  Karl Schimmer lists  491 Post Offices as “not yet seen.”  His series of articles in Mexicana during the 1980s show that cancels from 125 of those Offices had been found. That leaves 366 of the “not yet seen” Offices to be recorded. I have a number of them in my collection.               

I would like to do a survey among the “cancel collectors” out there in order to update the list of unrecorded post offices. What I will need is           

1.       The name of the Office and the Schimmer # (ie. Atil, Sonora, Sch #  SON 9/  )  Please include ALL Offices
            listed as nys in the original book. This would include any Offices reported as seen in the later updates
2.       The issue that the cancel occurs on (1874s, Juarez, Hidalgo Medallions, Large Numerals, and Mulitas).
3.       Color of cancel
4.       Type of cancel (as set forth in Shimmer (ie.  O2, 04, 017, etc.)
5.       Scans of the item. I realize this may not be possible in all cases. However scans are exceedingly important
            if we are to be able to illustrate new cancels in publication). In the past, I always mailed my new   
            discoveries to Karl so that he could verify and include them in the updates.            

Please DO NOT send your responses through Meximail. Send them directly to me at pedrotay@hughes.net. Any questions or ideas can also be sent directly to me. The success of this project will be largely dependent upon the willingness of you “cancel collectors” to participate. Hopefully the goal of this project will be a fully updated list published in Mexicana.           

Pete Taylor
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 06:48:23 PM by Pete Taylor »