Author Topic: Smeth - Fayolle Correspondence from 1933-1939  (Read 3429 times)

Thomas_A

• View Profile
Re: Smeth - Fayolle Correspondence from 1933-1939
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 09:21:53 PM »
Tad, thanks for digitizing the Smeth - Fayolle correspondence.

I wrote above that I had read this, but I was surprised to see that this is much larger than what I remember reading.  Looking back, what I previously read was a (lengthy) set of excerpts of this correspondence published in Philatelic Literature Review.  I didn't know there was so much more to be had.

Thanks again.

Thomas

Farley Katz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 08:32:31 AM »
Reserve me one!  :)
Farley Katz
San Antonio

Thomas_A

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 11:54:02 PM »
I've read it (a borrowed copy), and it really is a great read.  Tad, your effort to digitize it will be much appreciated, since I had to return the copy and I wouldn't mind perusing it again.

Thomas

Tad Mackie

• Administrator
  • So many stamps, so little time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 11:48:27 PM »
Interesting you should ask - I'm working on a digitized version of it now, based on the APRL copy you mention.  I was trying to guage whether it was a well-know work or not; based on my quick look it appears fascinating. 
I'll put something up here when I have it ready.

Farley Katz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 10:18:56 PM »
There is a copy of this at the American Philatelic Research Library in Bellefonte, PA.  Here's the description--  "English translation of a set of personal correspondence from the Marquis de Fayolle to Paul de Smith between 1933 and 1939 concerning their authorship of  Les Premieres emissions du Mexique (1856-1872).    I saw it last time I was there and it looked very interesting, but I didn't have time to read all of it.  A copy of this from the Stout collection was sold through Mexicana in the Jan 2010 Issue, p. 15.  It was described as "perhaps the most interesting philatelic correspondence ever involving classic Mexican philately or any philately..."

Is there any way MEPSI could reprint this?  Or digitize it on a CD?

Farley Katz
San Antonio
Farley Katz
San Antonio

Tad Mackie

• Administrator
  • So many stamps, so little time........
    • View Profile
Smeth - Fayolle Correspondence from 1933-1939
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 06:39:59 PM »
Is anyone familiar with an English translation of the correspondence between Smeth and Fayolle from 1933 to 1939 done by John Heath in 1998?  Just curious because I'm not sure if I've come across something interesting or something "old hat"...............