Author Topic: List of MEPSI Library digital items free to members  (Read 5905 times)

Tad Mackie

• Administrator
  • So many stamps, so little time........
    • View Profile
Re: List of MEPSI Library digital items free to members
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 12:39:03 PM »
A new item, "Nicholas Follansbee Auctions", has been added to the list, at the bottom/first message of this thread.

Tad Mackie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 12:45:05 PM »
A new digital book in PDF format, from the Google Books project, has been added to the list of digital files available free to members, at the bottom/first message of this thread.  It is:

"Maximillian in Mexico - The Story of the French Intervention (1861-1867)" by Percy Martin - 1914

This book turned up during a search for information for a member researching a cover from the Maximillian era.  The book is 545 pages, includes descriptions of movements of the French forces, and has a detailed index referencing names of officials and French commanders.  It has been made fully searchable.

Members wishing to download this work should refer to the instructions in the first message in this thread.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 07:27:43 PM by Tad Mackie »

Marco Escalante

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 11:12:50 PM »
Dear Tad,

I received the personalized DVD of the first 50 years of Mexicana, and I'm overwhelmed by the careful effort you put to share this trove of information with the MEPSI community, I want to recognize by your labour of love for Mexican Philately with kudos,

Thank you
Merry Christmas
Marco Escalante

Tad Mackie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 08:24:15 AM »
Dear Ernesto -

The Campeche book is rare and seldom offered.  When found it is usually in poor condition because of the way it was made.  My personal copy I bought for $400 a few years ago, which I thought was a low price, and it has a loose binding.

The MEPSI Library has a copy in very good condition, but still it is fragile and delicate and for that reason is not circulated.  A little while ago Dr. Randall Grace wrote a review of the book in Mexicana, and so to make the book available to our members I digitized the Library copy.

If you wish to purchase a copy I suggest you look on the internet: on eBay, book dealers such as Alibris, and perhaps mention on philatelic forums that you want to purchase a copy.  Good luck!

By the way, several advanced collector/experts have told me that the information in the book is not reliable......  But it is nevertheless an unusual and collectable book in itself.

Best regards,

Tad Mackie
MEPSI Librarian
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:19:42 AM by Tad Mackie »

Ernesto

• Ernesto Gutierrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 12:19:52 AM »
Dear Tad, good evening,

I thank you for the links you provided me for downloading the files. It's 23:18 and it seems to be that I will stay awake for a couple of hours reading the first file which is: Some Notes on the Most Remarkable Postage Stamp Ever Issued.

In pages Nr.1 and 17, there is a picture of a mailman. Attached you will find the same picture I have but I don't recall from where I downloaded.

In the other hand, I see on page Nr. 2, that there are 100 copies of the book. Is is possible to get a copy? If so, how much would be?

Thanks in advanced for your time.

Sincerely,

Ernesto:.
Ernesto Gutierrez Alvarez:.

Tad Mackie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 12:50:53 AM »
Randall -

Thank you for the very kind words!!  I actually enjoy doing it, I find I like books as much as I do stamps.  And I like computers, too, so it is a good fit.

It takes about 1 minute or so per page to do the scanning, but then each page needs to be looked at to be sure it is "presentable", if not then the page needs to be graphically enhanced so that it is as readable as possible.  I would estimate it takes about 3 to 4 minutes per page on average.  So a 160 page book would take about 480 to 640 minutes, or 6 to 8 hours.  Of course I don't do it in one sitting, usually 2 or 3 hours at a time.

One of the items in the list was digitized by the Google Books Project, the "Mexico Issue of 1874-1883", so that was just a matter of noticing it was out there.

As to the future there are several projects in mind, one of which is the "6th Decade of Mexicana".  When the October 2011 issue of Mexicana is published that will allow the period from 2002 - 2011, the last ten years of Mexicana, to be available to MEPSI members on DVD as is the First Fifty Years.   Most of the later issues in that period are already ready, thanks to Mike Roberts.  Hopefully the 6th Decade will be available around the Holiday season.   

I don't have a particular schedule for digitizing things, just when I get a request for something that can't be lent out because of fragility, or I see something interesting, I just get an urge to digitize it.  I know it will never be all completed, especially those things for which the copyright is still in effect, but I definitely plan on adding to the list from time to time!!  In the next couple of days the list of digital items for sale from the Library should be up.

Best regards,

Tad

Randall Grace

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 11:42:53 PM »
Tad--This is a wonderful benefit for all Mepsi members and we owe you sincere thanks for the work to have been able to do, not just one item but all of these interesting reference materials you listed. Can you share with the members the amount of time required to accomplish this task for just one item? Also do you anticipate further digitalization of library materials, at one time you mentioned scanning the very old and fragile ones for example which seems most reasonable. Finally a personal thanks for what appears to be a tremendous amount of work for Mepsi.   RR GRACE

Tad Mackie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
List of MEPSI Library digital items free to members
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 11:46:52 AM »
The following is a list of the digital items that are currently available to MEPSI members. 

Free to MEPSI Members - as a downloadable file if you have broadband access, or for a nominal fee if you require the files on a CD.  A copy of the (free, downloadable) Adobe PDF Reader will be required to read these files.  (MB = megabytes)

"Some Notes on the Most Remarkable Postage Stamp Ever Issued" - the Campeche book  (30 MB)
"The Eagle & Maximillian Stamps of Mexico" - Chapman - 1912  (40 MB)
"Exhibit - Local Overprints of Mexico 1914-16" - Follansbee - 2010  (40 MB)
"Smythe-Fayolle Translation - 1st Chapter"    (1 MB)    Published in Mexicana but separately available as an accomodation to the membership.
"Mexico issue of 1874-1883" - Chittenden - 1918    (5 MB)
"Tittmann Specialized Collection of Sonora, Mexico" - Finding Guide - Smithsonian National Postal Museum    (1 MB)
Mexico Revenue Articles - From APLR holdings   (75 MB)    A compendium of articles apparently the result of a request to the APRL for information concerning Mexico revenues.
"Stamps of Mexico 1856 to 1872" - Phillips - 1917   (7 MB)
"de Smeth - Fayolle Conversations 1933-1939"    (50 MB)    Correspondence between the authors, translated by John Heath in 1998
"Maximillian in Mexico - The Story of the French Intervention (1861-1867)" by Percy Martin - 1914
"Nicholas Follansbee Auctions".  22 auctions from March 1989 to June 2011, in searchable PDF format, with PRs. (Folder, 24 files, 1.2 GB)
"La Gazeta Filatelica", by Roberto Liera (222MB)
"Mexico 1868 Thick Figure Transfer Types, by James Ford (20MB)
"Mexico 1872 Issue Transfer Type Identification Guide", by James Ford (22MB)

If you have broadband internet access, for a link to download the above files, email your request to:   library@mepsi.org
Please include your name, MEPSI membership number (if you know it), and the file you are requesting
If you do not have broadband internet access, and only have dial-up access, then the above files may be requested by regular mail from:

Tad Mackie, MEPSI Librarian
55 Logan Circle
Strasburg, VA  22657-5266

There is a nominal charge of $5.00 per CD to cover the cost of the CD and postage.  Make your check (in US dollars, please) out to:   Mexico Elmhurst Philatelic Society.
If a US dollar check is not possible, or if you have any questions, please email me and we will work something out.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 11:10:10 AM by Tad Mackie »