Author Topic: 100. CENT. Is it a fake Scott 70 from a 64 or a 57 with period?  (Read 1984 times)

Ernesto

• Ernesto Gutierrez
    • View Profile
Re: 100. CENT. Is it a fake Scott 70 from a 64 or a 57 with period?
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 10:42:26 PM »
Hello Manuel, thank you for your comment.

Actually I got it as a 56, but the dot I see created the doubt.

I've already checked with  normal microscope and it seems to have the round shape of a dot. I will install the microscope software in another computer and take a picture.

In the other hand, I have been so concentrated trying to figure out about the period that I was overlooking the diagonal dash in at the left side of the base of the T. 

It might be a hint to confirm that is a 56. Does any body has another one like this?

Thanks for your time.

Ernesto:.
Ernesto Gutierrez Alvarez:.

Manuel Iglesias

• View Profile
Re: 100. CENT. Is it a fake Scott 70 from a 64 or a 57 with period?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 09:35:03 PM »
Ernesto,

To me your stamp is a genuine # 56, 100c black/brown thin figures, perforated with no period and it is listed in NF 2007 on page 55, the one not listed is the 100c brown/brown, Scott # 57. What may look like a perid is probably ink from the cancellation.
Best regards,
Manuel.

Ernesto

• Ernesto Gutierrez
    • View Profile
100. CENT. Is it a fake Scott 70 from a 64 or a 57 with period?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 08:08:01 PM »
Hi to all,
According to Follansbee invoice Nr. 6 is for Guanajuato. The 100 CENT. I have, seems to be perforated, nevertheless, once again Follansbee says there are no perforated for that value in Guanajuato, so:

1.- Should I assume that someone wanted to fabricate a rarity in a non perforated (Scott Nr. 64) stamp?

2.- I still don’t figure out the following: If it’s a Scott Nr. 64, it doesn’t match any of the 10 pictures in page Nr. 51 in Follansbee 2001 in which appears a sloping serif on the “1”, is clearly a horizontal serif and the 0’s are narrow like in the 5 pictures shown in Follansbee.

3.- Could it be a Scott Nr. 56 with a period???

Attached you will find the pictures of the stamp.

Thanks for your comments.

Ernesto:.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 08:23:38 PM by Ernesto »
Ernesto Gutierrez Alvarez:.