MexiMail

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new and improved MexiMail

Author Topic: General Opinion about item in ebay  (Read 1570 times)

Bubba Bland

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: General Opinion about item in ebay
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 07:53:39 PM »
I agree with you Marc that a lot of these fakes are collectable. I normally reach a level on certain items that I stop at. I have paid up to $25 for a reprint Dos Reales and for a Un Real example, I would pay maybe double that. I just recently picked up a real Dos Reales on cover with fake cancel and overprint, for around $15. Full sheets of some of the fakes should be worth even more. But, I think I would have backed off the subject cover at a point much lower than it sold for. Yes, the cancels for reference are good, if you feel you need something from DeThuin's hand for reference. However, the point is, the cover is a fake and if someone actually bought it thinking it was real, they have a problem on their hands, because they will find out it isn't and it was never intended to be an example in a fake collection.

Chapter One's last meeting was about fakes, and it was interesting to see what other collectors brought. some of them came from mistakes while others came from intended purchase of fakes for reference. I brought real stamps that had been either enhanced or had added overprints and cancels. These really are the scary ones, just like the subject cover with a bisect 100ctv banknote.

One last word, the best way to tell if something you have questions about is real or not is to compare it with the real thing, not another fake. But, also true is that fakes will tell us what to look out for.
A collector of Dos Reales of the first design. Always having fun.

Marc Gonzales

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 06:19:43 PM »
Bubba,
You would be surprised what forgeries sell for, this one from the Varro Tyler collection apparently.  The cover is poor from the standpoint of being recognizable as a forged item by most advanced collectors of Mexico, however it has value as a good reference item for the cancels in my opinion.  It appears to be a DeThuin, again enhancing it's reference value. 
Marc

Bubba Bland

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 10:49:25 AM »
Whom ever bought this for $92 paid 10x what I would have as a poorly done fake cover. There are so many things wrong about this cover I would even be reluctant to have it as an example of a fake.
A collector of Dos Reales of the first design. Always having fun.

Farley Katz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 06:24:52 PM »
Varro Tyler was an expert on forgeries and must have collected them.
Farley Katz
San Antonio

Héctor Ramírez Gallo

• View Profile
General Opinion about item in ebay
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 05:49:39 PM »
Hello to the forum

Browsing the ebay Web find this item http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEXICO-1877-Mineral-Del-Oro-Durango-Cuernavaca-Folded-Cover-/260930671097?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc0ae11f9

Bisected stamp from 100 cents facial value district 29 = Morelia
Postmark from Durango, Mineral del Oro and with additional "2" send to Cuernavaca
From the personal Collection of Dr. Varro E. Tyler

My personal opinion is a bogus cover.

What is your opinion?

And happy new year :)