Author Topic: Mexico to London1843  (Read 2878 times)

Bob Watson

• View Profile
Re: Mexico to London1843
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 04:04:11 PM »
Marc
That's very helpful, thanks.
Bob

Marc Gonzales

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 10:41:23 AM »
Bob,
It's not likely that the ms marking you mention is a Mexican rate marking.  Keep in mind that the Mexico CDS is "Franqueado" which means franked or paid and therefor a rate marking is not necessary.  In checking through 50 or so similar maritime pre-stamp covers in my collection I find none with the Mexico Franqueado cancels M19, M23 with a rate marking, also I find this is the case with Vera Cruz "Franquedo" VC 12 & VC 13, no rate markings.  I did find one maritime cover with VC11 that did have a rate hand stamp, however this cancel does not indicate Franco or Franqueado.  I also note a Colima with no rate mark.  However covers I have from Zacatecas do have rate marks even though the cancel says "Franco" Z5.  So apparently the Zacatecas postmaster felt it necessary to put the rate mark on covers.  In Tampico TM7 the use of rate marks was mixed, some have rate, most don't.  This survey pertains only to Maritime prestamp usages, however the same applies to domestic covers.  There is not a consistency in the use of rate marks when "Franco or Franqueado" cancels are used.
Cheers,
Marc
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:50:58 AM by Marc Gonzales »

Bob Watson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 08:40:24 PM »
Marc
Many thanks for that. I have since identified the Y&B numbers for the postmarks: M19 for the "Franqueado Mexico" and BP11 for the black British agency one. I got the ships from Kenton & Parsons: Medway Vera Cruz to Bermuda, Forth Bermuda to Falmouth, and overland to London. Rate for 1-2 ounces: 13 shillings 6 pence (13/6) Falmouth packet rate (2/3 including 2d inland) x 4 at the "British" progression (thanks to Colin Tabeart). The only thing to find: a marking to indicate the postage from Mexico to Vera Cruz. Is it the "12" at top right?
Cheers,
Bob

Marc Gonzales

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 04:39:28 PM »
Bob,
The red Mexico cancel indicates the likely origin and that the internal Mexican postage was paid, most likely 2 reales.  It was then sent to Vera Cruz to the British agency in Vera Cruz, which is the double line CDS.  From there placed on a British ship.  I can get you the ship names it traveled on if you like.
Regards,
Marc

Bob Watson

• View Profile
Mexico to London1843
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 11:18:54 PM »
This cover went from Mexico (City) to London via Vera Cruz in 1843. It was rated 13/6 for a 2 ounce letter on Falmouth packets. I am interested in what the Mexico postage rate was (from Mexico to Vera Cruz) and how is that shown on the cover?