Author Topic: Who designed this 1964 postage stamp (Sc. c299)?  (Read 9429 times)

TonyB

Re: Who designed this 1964 postage stamp (Sc. c299)?
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 12:38:03 PM »
Thanks, Farley, for that great suggestion which I will follow up on. I'll report back if/when I learn any more. Thanks again, Tony

Farley Katz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 10:35:01 AM »
Carlos Alvarez has been publishing a series of articles in the Regiofil Bulletin about secret initials in Mexican stamps.  The issues are on line at https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B895hksmXoPNbU1ZRHJxaUJoWXM&usp=sharing   The Nov 2013 and Jan 2014 issues include his articles.  The Jan 2014 article ends with a statement that beginning in September of 1965, initials were replaced by the artist's name.  (Actually, your stamp pre-dates Sept 1965).  Perhaps if you contact him or Regiofil someone might recognize the signature. 
Farley Katz
San Antonio

TonyB

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 12:33:48 PM »
Jaime, If you liked that link, you'll also like my article at http://geo-mexico.com/?p=6236 - which is what prompted my query about the designer in the first place!! Cahill led an interesting life (to say the least). His map projection deserves to be used more widely, Best, Tony

Jaime Benavides

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 12:28:22 PM »
Not an answer but some usefull information about the "Cahill butterfly map" you can find here:

http://www.danstopicals.com/cahill.htm

...interesting!
Jaime

TonyB

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 01:09:14 PM »
Mike, Your efforts are very much appreciated; thank you. Like you, I've been able to find designer names for some other issues of about that time, but not for the stamp that interests me the most! Sounds like I might have to include a side-trip to TIEV next time I"m in Mexico City.
Does anyone, by any chance, have an email or contact address for TIEV?
Thanks again,
Tony

Mike Roberts

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 10:03:32 PM »
Tony

I just went through my collection and took two different size glasses to the stamp. As they say in some movies, "I got nothing."  I even took a gander through my hobby lamp, you know, on of those things with the magnifier and the natural lamp. Still a big fat zero.

Just finished looking at the new issue report in Mexicana for July 1964.  There is almost nothing written about this particular stamp. There is a great deal about some reissued ones but little else. One thing I noticed was that there appears to be a name in the lower left corner. It is really indistinct.

Even though the more recent issues have names of designers on them earlier issues do not. It is a very mixed bag though. The information is no doubt in the TIEV archives but I'm not ready to go there.

Mike
Bubba,
Thanks for taking the time to try to work out the signature. Beyond looking in catalogues and everything I could find online relating to that period of stamp issues, I also contacted MUFI (Oaxaca) - http://www.mufi.org.mx/es/home1.php about a month ago They acknowledged my inquiry but haven't offered any additional information as yet.
It would be good to dive deeper into Mexico; maybe when/if I ever retire!
Best, Tony

TonyB

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 12:39:43 PM »
Bubba,
Thanks for taking the time to try to work out the signature. Beyond looking in catalogues and everything I could find online relating to that period of stamp issues, I also contacted MUFI (Oaxaca) - http://www.mufi.org.mx/es/home1.php about a month ago They acknowledged my inquiry but haven't offered any additional information as yet.
It would be good to dive deeper into Mexico; maybe when/if I ever retire!
Best, Tony

Bubba Bland

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 10:03:19 AM »
Tony,
Welcome to Meximail. I looked up in the old Mexicana to see if the stamps you are interested in finding the designer of were listed in New issues. Well they have them, but the details they gave for the main issue, Scott C299, you are interested in is not detailed at all. Most of the other issues only list thing like perforations and watermarks. The Scott catalogue does as much. I did look closely at a reference stamp you gave, Scott C279, and the signature is better but still lacking any real detail. So, I suggest that maybe someone from Mexico on the forum may be able to find the answer in an older Mexican philatelic publication.
I hope you dive into Mexico deeper and join MEPSI again. There is a lot more we are finding out about Mexican stamps in this digital world we live in now. But, for now, it is great to have you on Meximail.
A collector of Dos Reales of the first design. Always having fun.

TonyB

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 04:58:34 PM »
Tad, Thanks for the welcome.
Apologies for not posting a brief personal introduction previously.
I'm a geographer, independent researcher and writer, now resident on Vancouver Island in Canada. I lived in Mexico from 1979-1996 and was a MEPSI member for a few years back in the 1980s, though my Mexico collection is very modest (to put it politely!). My main philatelic interests all revolve around the obvious links between philately and geography, so I'm far more interested in used stamps and covers than the MNH specimens, but each to their own!
I spent a few very enjoyable ours skimming through the many interesting threads in these forums and was struck by the very positive and helpful atmosphere that prevails.
Happy collecting!
Tony

Tad Mackie

• Administrator
  • So many stamps, so little time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 09:29:38 PM »
Just for the record, "TonyB" is new MexiMailer Tony Burton.  Welcome, Tony.

TonyB

Who designed this 1964 postage stamp (Sc. c299)?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 08:02:16 PM »
Can anyone offer me any clues as to who designed the 1964 postage stamp (Sc. c299) that commemorates the 10th Conference of the International Bar Association (IBA), held that year in Mexico City? [I wrote a blog post about the very interesting map on this stamp - see http://geo-mexico.com/?p=6236]
There is a tiny signature at the bottom left of the main image, but I can't read it!
In case it helps, several stamps of the same general period appear to have been designed by the same person, including c279 (Pan-American Railroad Conference).
Thanks in advance for any and all leads, Tony