Author Topic: AGUASCALIENTES VILLA DE CALPULALPAN CANCEL ON COVER.  (Read 3859 times)

Pete Taylor

• View Profile
Re: AGUASCALIENTES VILLA DE CALPULALPAN CANCEL ON COVER.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 03:01:29 PM »
Eugenio,
AGS 11/1 and AG 3/1 are the same cancel. The AG 3/1 cancel is listed in "Postmarks of Mexico 1821 to 1883" which has cancel numbers based on Postal District administration up until 1883 when that administrative system was abandoned. The AGS 11/1 cancel is listed in " The Standardization of Mexican Postmarks 1884 to 1900" which has cancel numbers based on State Postal administration. There is a tremendous overlap between the 2 books.

Eugenio Trevino

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 02:48:28 PM »
Pete:
Thank you for the information. Now I got a little bit lost. I do not have the AGS 11/1 image. Is it differtent to AG-3/1 for the 1874 issue?

Pete Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 12:18:59 AM »
This cancel has been reported from Rincon de Romos (Villa de Calpulalpan) on the Hidalgo Medalliones of 1884. It is listed in Taylor as Cancel # AGS 11/1 with a rarity of 2. Not surprising to find it on an actual 1874 issue also.

Martin "Spuff" Spufford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 06:08:19 PM »
Hi Eugenio I would have expected a Calvillo cancel as Las Pilas is probably"Crucero de las Pilas" in that town (I think).

Eugenio Trevino

• View Profile
AGUASCALIENTES VILLA DE CALPULALPAN CANCEL ON COVER.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 07:09:57 PM »
I bought a lot of covers and found this one from Aguascalientes district, sent to Zacatecas, dated July 1st 1879 and signed in "Las Pilas" with a difficult to read cancel. I checked Peter Taylor's book and it looks like Villa de Calpulalpan cancel AG-3/1, wich is described as seen in official post office publications or museum collection, but not on an actual stamp.

Did I get a rare one? Any comment?

Best regards,

Eugenio.