Author Topic: Anotado on eBay - Authentic?  (Read 3363 times)

Randall Grace

• View Profile
Re: Anotado on eBay - Authentic?
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 11:28:24 PM »
James-Although I agree mostly with Mark, it is not as simple as it sounds to ascertain if an Anotado is genuine. The reference you quoted on the Mepsi website is the work of Doug Stout not Bash. This overprint has had much study and numerous articles are available in Mexicana and in the Stout book on 1868's. Some of the criteria that are commonly used are: Dimensions of overprint(height,length--14.5mm X 2.5mm), precise characteristics of each letter, they are often seen on postal forgeries(60%), most but not all are cancelled in Mexico DF, dark ink, uncommon on 6 and 100c, useage only a short time(3/5--4/25/1872), entire overprint has to be present and clear to verify each of the "criteria' and the"Rosetta Stone Cover" has been the one best example per Doug Stout for examining the Anotado overprints.  It is my impression that this particular overprint has very strict criteria of genuiness; and that these strict criteria are not often applied for other overprints of Mexico. For example it is difficult to believe that only one overprinting device was used for the Anotados to be exactly the same for all stamps, but unless the Anotado overprint has all the criteria of the "Rosetta Stone" it could fail the genuine test. I am speculating that there may have been several overprinting devices and that small differences could exist between them(this is not a widely held opinion as far as I am aware).Unfortunately there are many non genuine Anotados and several of these types have been classified. If I may be of further help please contact me to assist in evaluating this difficult area. RRGRACE

Mark Banchik

• View Profile
Re: Anotado on eBay - Authentic?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 09:40:14 PM »
Jame,
Anatados are a minefield. They were applied to many genuine and 'tipo' stamps from a multitude of districts. Some are better then others at separating the wheat from chaff, but even after many years of collecting I'm not always comfortable.That said, I look for usage: genuine anatados were only used from Mexico City for a few weeks during early 1872. Illegible, unclear, out of date range, and non-Mexico City cancels are all grounds for 'non genuine' Anatado in my mind.Hope this begins to clear the murk,Mark

James Ford

• View Profile
Anotado on eBay - Authentic?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 03:53:22 PM »

Hi Folks,

There is an interesting 1868-72 Hidalgo 6c Anotado on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEXICO-1872-6c-ANOTADO-IMPERF-MONTEREY-DISTRICT-VF-HINGED-OG-Sc-71-/391456647464?hash=item5b24a26928:g:4EoAAOSwlfxXFoVU

I have compared the Anotado overprint to those on John Bash's Anotado page:

http://anotados.mepsi.org/technique.htm

And, it looks pretty good to me, but, if someone held a gun on me, I would have to say that it is fake.  Maybe I'm wrong. 

Perhaps someone with better vision and more experience would weigh in on this Anotado overprint and provide some education for those of us who are struggling with the fine points of the 1868-72 Hidalgo issue.

Thanks,

James