Author Topic: Scott 735B  (Read 2899 times)

Marc Gonzales

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Scott 735B
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 09:10:24 PM »
Here is what Follansbee has to say about this variety.  I don't think he will mind my quoting him.

"I am very well acquainted with 735B. The stamp was discovered by Adolfo Eimbcke in a junk lot. His material was sold by Shelton and I was the buyer of "The Eimbcke" as it was called. This was around 1978 or 79. I later sold it in one of my early sales for $9,000 or $10,000 (as I recall).

In how the variety came about, it is rather similar to the coil waste perforation varieties of the U.S. from the early 1920s. Rotary presses had a perforator (or rouletter in the case of 736)  which sheets directly off the drum were fed through and guillotined into panes as the final step. Such machines had an automatic shut-off triggered by reaching the end of the paper roll. This left some imperforate material between the printing drum and the perforator or rouletter. Rather than destroy these unfinished stamps, they were manually perforated on some handy machine. Naturally, such sheets were vastly outnumbered by the sheets that had been completed in the normal manner.

736 was produced on a press located in a part of the plant where fiscal stamps were normally produced. This was done because of unmet demand for postage. Rather than haul "CORREOS MEXICO" paper over to this press, they used the fiscal-watermarked paper because it was handy (not in error or because of a paper shortage).

The Eimbcke stamp's authenticity had circumstantial support from the fact that Eimbcke was well-known for his honesty and he testified that he found the stamp rather than paid anything for it. He showed the stamp to all of his philatelic friends, including Karl Schimmer. The stamp also was supported by the fact that it was clearly perforated on a harrow which showed two probably related peculiarities. First, the perfs at the first and third corners were closer together than at the second and fourth. Second, the harrow was very slightly distorted to that the corners were not quite 90 degrees true. The lines of perfs at top and bottom paralleled the frame of the design, while the side rows of perforations were very slightly aslant relative to the design's frame. There is no such distortion in the rouletting harrow for 736. If the Eimbcke 735 was perfectly superimposed on a 736 it showed that there just wasn't "room" on a 736 to add fake perfs.

I expertised another 735B for MEPSI in the mid-1980s which also showed these harrow peculiarities."

Fernando P-M

• Dealer Member
    • View Profile
    • La Filatelia Mexicana
Re: Scott 735B
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 08:22:42 AM »
Scott 735B was discovered by a well remembered and respected Monterrey collector, Mr. Adolfo Eimbcke, who was a longtime MEPSI member and recipient of the Distinguished Services Award.

I remember quite well the day when he brought the stamp to the local club meeting and explained the differences, when he was declared with lung cancer he sold his collection trough Bill Shelton's auctions and I do not know the whereabouts of his stamp.

The controversy aroused in Mexico City by several collectors who had never seen one less have one in their hands for checking it, so they considered its existence doubtful and contacted Scott's editors to let them know about their skepticism.

I am sure the stamp really exist but the surviving number might be very limited. I have never seen another example in all my years in the market.

Have a nice week everybody,

Fernando Perez-Maldonado

Bob Watson

• View Profile
Scott 735B
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 08:11:43 PM »
The Scott catalogue says: "The listing of No. 735B is being re-evaluated. The Catalogue Editors would appreciate any information on the stamp." I understand that a good MEPSI certificate has been issued for at least one copy. Can anyone confirm the existence of this stamp or of the certificate? (This is a 10c Cuauhtémoc type of 1923, but issued in 1934-37 on paper watermarked Lines and SECRETARIA DE HACIENDA MEXICO [wmk 260].)
Bob