Author Topic: Amelia Earhart Flights Los Angeles to Mexico City to Newark NJ, 1935  (Read 2817 times)

Mike Ludeman

• View Profile
Re: Amelia Earhart Flights Los Angeles to Mexico City to Newark NJ, 1935
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 04:10:45 PM »
Mexico issued a special overprint on the previously issued "Eagle Man" stamp issue, Scott C68.
What was the format of the original pane of stamps? 10 rows of 5?  Something else?

I assume there was a "sheet" with two panes separated by a gutter.  Anyone have an example or scan they can show?
ThanksMike
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 05:24:37 PM by Mike Ludeman »

Mike Ludeman

• View Profile
Amelia Earhart Flights Los Angeles to Mexico City to Newark NJ, 1935
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 01:49:23 PM »
The recent thread on the Sarabia Flight to New York in 1939 got me interested in looking at this flight by Amelia Earhart.
Amelia Earhart is easily the best known female aviatrix of the 20th century.  Her flight from Los Angeles, CA to Mexico City was the first solo flight on that route, as was the second leg from Mexico City to Newark NJ.  Although not an "official" air mail flight, she carried 40 covers on the first leg, and 37 of these 40 plus another set of 40 on the second leg.  With a few exceptions, these covers were all addressed to her or her husband, George P. Putnam, were autographed by Amelia Earheart, and were franked with the special overprinted Mexico air mail stamp which is now cataloged by Scott as C74.
I've started a Census of these covers, recording the characteristics and registration numbers, much as I did with the Sarabia flight. So far, I have located some 19 covers, and am looking for more.  I have also researched some of the background information on this flight and I am putting things together in a preliminary format for a monograph.
Anyone who might know of an auction catalog or article where one or more of these covers is illustrated, please contact me with the information.
A copy of the current Census is attached.