Author Topic: THE TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS OF THE MEXICAN POSTAL SERVICE  (Read 4029 times)

Bubba Bland

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: THE TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS OF THE MEXICAN POSTAL SERVICE
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 11:12:57 AM »
After talking to a member of Chapter One, Tim Carroll, a retired postal worker, he said that much of the problem is not the worker being lazy, but the work load everyone is expected to have in the post office. I think this may be the biggest problem with the USPS, because it is not theft but moving the mail. Each year the post office does not meet the budget projections in revenue, they push the worker harder to do more work, an upside down approach. I can understand they are reluctant to hire more workers, but as the old saying goes "The faster I work the more behind I get", holds true. For normal mail the post office has made so much automation that, yes we get letters fast here in the USA, but other things are not so true. Unless a patron sends the package by Priority, which only travels with the first class mail, it doesn't follow a rapid mailing. Interestingly, the thing that covers most of the cost in the USPS, is the junk mail, magazines, and other items that our Mexicana is grouped in with. These items are the things that are the least rapidly sent of all.
As for Mexico's handling of mail, it doesn't matter if the item is first class, magazine or parcel, there is a slowness of unusually poor service. Again, it is likely to personnel problems, low pay and poor management. Make no bones about it, the postal service has a lot of problems in this modern age that they have little idea on how to solve them or they just don't care.
A collector of Dos Reales of the first design. Always having fun.

Mike Roberts

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 09:10:37 PM »
I have been editing Mexicana for about ten years or more and have had nothing but problems with postal service; US and Mexican.

We used to mail everything through the US Postal Service who distributed the mail to US and foreign members with variable results. US members would receive the magazine within a week, sometimes less, while others would find Mexicana in their mailboxes from days to months after it was mailed.

About six years ago, the use of fourth class mail ended, requiring us to send foreign mail by first class or courier. By courier, it should reach everyone within 10 days. But, we still have copies of the magazine being used as a foot rest or pillow in Mexico City. I could fly to Mexico, rent a car, and deliver the magazine to all of the members in Mexico faster than SEPOMEX!

Very frustrating. Someone is not making people work both here and in Mexico.

Pete Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 03:29:18 PM »
Just an observation. It take about 6 weeks to get a registered letter from Guadalajara to Woodland WA. I asked my postmaster about time and was told that all incoming registered mail is held in San Fransisco for at least a week before it is forwarded. SEPOMEX may be slow...but so is USPS. I don't have the same problem for registered mail sent from the east coast.

Bubba Bland

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 02:19:25 PM »
Each week I deal with sending material to Mexico that my buyers order. It is my experience that the following are problems I have with the Mexican postal system.
  • Any order is subject to theft in the post office in Mexico. It may be someone working on the docks transferring mail to another post offices or maybe just a carrier delivering mail to the street addresses. I have no way of knowing.
  • I try to send my material in a discreet envelope that looks more like a normal business mail, than one that might look like something a friend or relative in the States might send. This helps, but not entirely.
  • The most thefts I have had on material seem to be in Mexico DF destinations. Smaller post offices including some large ones like Guadalajara much less so.
  • Delivery is also a problem, as noted by your other entries on this train. I advise my clients that to expect up to two weeks or longer. Most seem to get to them within this time. One of the biggest problems I have is getting notice when something has not been received over sometimes months. Why? Well, likely the receivers are so use to late delivery that they just do not notice that the packages have not arrived.
  • In more expensive lots I bill for registered postage fees. It still cost me over a dollar more than the $15 I collect to send these packages out. To date I have never lost a registered package going to Mexico, but some have been delayed over a month. Unfortunately, registered package (envelopes) are very high in the States.
I have no solution for Mexico's postal system, but they might do better by paying higher wages to keep the corruption to a minimum. Create a better work atmosphere (something that the USPS should also do) and overhaul their management. Lastly, they should invest in more modern technology to move the mail.
What a shame it is that the letters over a hundred years ago were delivered far faster than they are today. I know, because I deal in Mexican Postal History and I have many covers to prove this in past sale and inventory.
A collector of Dos Reales of the first design. Always having fun.

Farley Katz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 05:51:27 PM »
I have had very little experience myself with SEPOMEX  and have not had any serious problems.  I didn't intend to endorse the blog.  I just thought the quote from the blog was amusing.  One might contrast it with the following from the Boletin Postal de los Estados Unidos Mexicanos (1890) --
"The Postal Service, indispensable vehicle, necessary way for the diffusion of the newspaper and the book, sources of all light for the population of all human knowledge and through whose arteries it circulates, so to speak, the vital knowledge of all the people which constitutes the national wealth, by means of the multiple commercial transactions and of all the industries, it was necessary that it should reach in Mexico the rightful place in the Republic’s march on the path of progress."
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 07:38:33 PM by Farley Katz »
Farley Katz
San Antonio

Jorge Wise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 03:01:25 PM »
Other examples of situations that occur in SEPOMEX.
1. A German friend asked me for modern stamps, from those sold at the post office. Since two of my children were traveling to Germany, with a stop in Mexico City, I asked them to go to the Postal Palace to buy some stamps for my friend. At the selling point, they sold only tuberculosis labels, of course full sheets. Perhaps an error on my part was failing to educate them in the difference between a postage stamp and a label or perhaps abuse or misunderstanding of the person at the postal office to offer them what they truly required.
2. In some offices it is said that they practically only use postal labels with the tariff paid. What I have observed is that that is because the few stamps they have are kept in the safe and the person un charge is not at the moment.
3. In a secondary office, but important in Mexicali, always is full of letters and packages all around. All the time is like this. When I ask they about that, tell me that they always have a lot of work and they are looking to get the best out of it.
4. Whenever I make a stopover at the airport in Mexico City, I try to visit the SEPOMEX post office in Terminal 2. I have noticed several things: (1) they always have stamps, (2) they always have commemorative stamps as well as first day envelopes, (3) they are always busy with something, (4) they have always been courteous and they have treated me very well.
5. Being at the border and buying stamps in different countries for my collection, I opted for an address in Calexico, USA. On many occasions I even receive material from Mexico to that address, which generally takes about two weeks. The material arrives without major problems and has been sent from several points of Mexico.
On the other hand, when I talk about these issues with friends living in the USA, they tell me that they also have problems, maybe different, but important for them. Similarly, friends in France and Germany tell me the same. Even a Frenchman once told me that he was completely distrustful of his country's mail service, but that, as is convenient and cheap, he continues to use it. In Peru and Colombia things are similar, content-discontent is expressed in a similar way.
The blog Northern Lauren describes a situation that the author finds interesting and has experienced in its own right. I want to say that I do not defend SEPOMEX nor judged MEX-POST nor Northern Lauren. But if you watch carefully and check the blog of this British girl, what she is looking for, it’s to highlight interesting cultural aspects. As far as I can see, she is not objective at all, Northern Lauren only describes what she has experienced where she lives it, but only once. Perhaps her experience at this time has not been the best, especially if you have as reference another postal service, perhaps the Royal Mail of Great Britain.
This weekend I was at SESCAL. Several MEPSI members attended; I participate in the meeting of Chapter 1 of MPESI. Several of the attendees, the majority, was the first time I remember talking to them. The interesting thing about that, as almost always happens in these situations, is that we all talk as if we knew each other for years. I only knew Tim, Bubba Bland, David Pietsch, Marc Gonzalez and Mark Banchik. There were 5 more. One issue that arose was the current mail situation in both Mexico and the USA. Although we discussed it at the bar with a beer in hand, the discussion was very short. Something I can comment on this is that they talked about the problems of SEPOMEX from what they have heard than if they had experienced it in their own flesh. Likewise, the comments of the US Postal Service indicated some problems, perhaps similar to those we have in Mexico and those I have heard in other countries.
In conclusion, although we experience a different service than we hope SEPOMEX should offer, let's try to be objective. I do not want to say that I like the service SEPOMEX offers, I think we should criticize it to improve, something that many see as almost impossible. However, I believe that in other countries, users of their local postal services also perceive that their service is different from what they want or want to receive. I have a saying that believe explains many of those cultural differences that Northern Lauren wants to emphasize: human nature is the same everywhere. And that is what we like to improve.
[font=&quot]Saludos,[/font]
[font=&quot]Jorge[/font]

Jorge Wise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 02:58:33 PM »
Yes, SEPOMEX offers a service of very low quality, wherever we see it. From my perspective, the very poor performance goes beyond the budgeting part. For example, if one sends a package by MEX-POST, SEPOMEX's accelerated parcel service, the service is quite acceptable in relation to the price paid. For example, I have sent packages from Mexicali to Monterrey with a shipping price of about MX$300.00; sending them via other suppliers (e.g. DHL or UPS) implies a cost of at least MX$1,500.00 for similar services in terms of delivery and quality. The shipments I have made by MEX-POST have taken between 7 and 15 days, which for packages of more than 3kgs is quite acceptable.
However, in the part of normal mail pieces, I have suffered as many complex experiences, to say the least. Even certified parcels have taken more than 3 months to reach their destination. Let me comment about the last experience, an envelope with I sent from Mexicali to Monterrey, took more than 3 months to reach its destination. The tragedy of the matter is that it was more than TWO months already in Monterrey waiting to be delivered to its recipient in that same city. I´m aware of that, because we tracked the parcel using the reference provided and then in person the information we obtained is that it was in Monterrey as described. When asked here in Mexicali, for the third time, we were told that it was not delivered due to a lack of staff in Monterrey, or that there were lack of postmen to do the delivery.When we have shipped packages by MEX-POST, they have arrived at their destination in vehicles very well assembled and taken care of. I know that because some of the things that we have sent are for us and once days after I or my wife were Monterrey receiving the parcels.
[font=&quot]Saludos,[/font]
[font=&quot]Jorge[/font]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 03:00:38 PM by Jorge Wise »

Farley Katz

• View Profile
THE TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS OF THE MEXICAN POSTAL SERVICE
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 05:54:24 PM »
"‘Oh, Mexican postal service, where would we be without you?!’ said no one, ever. The postal system inMexico rightly has an absolutely awful reputation, mainly because it is absolutely awful."So starts the blog of a Brit in Mexico. But it has a happy ending. http://northernlauren.com/mexican-postal-service/
Farley Katz
San Antonio