Author Topic: pLATE ERROR. dEFORMED "correos"  (Read 2444 times)

Martin "Spuff" Spufford

• View Profile
Re: pLATE ERROR. dEFORMED "correos"
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 11:35:43 AM »
Many thanks Farley. I found it in the Mexicana Oct 2016 page 138 as indicated (Fig 3).
spuff

Farley Katz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 09:02:57 AM »
Just to explain the analysis, Vannotti said that the top and bottom row of the 8 reales shows blurring due to re-entries.  There was only one plate for the 8s.  The Tulancingo proof sheet of 90 shows that the top row is fine and has no blurring at all.  Jaretzky's block of 8s inludes bottom row positions 93-100.  No blurring there either. So the blurring necessarily is a result of a printing issue.  Vannotti also said that the top row of the fours has blurring from "recutting."  Plate I which was the primary plate used for the 4s shows no blurring either.  See the Tulancingo sheet of 90.

As a technical matter, I do not see how stamps with perfect lower parts and wildly blurred top parts could be due to entry through the rocking back and forth of the transfer roller.  The fact that Vannotti saw blurs only in some top and bottom rows is further confirmation that the problem was in the printing and not the entry.  Why would there be problems in entering every stamp in those rows but not any of the other stamps in the sheets?  Why are there no pairs where one stamp is blurred and the adjacent one not? 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 09:10:37 AM by Farley Katz »
Farley Katz
San Antonio

Farley Katz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 10:14:17 PM »
The doubling is not in the plate.  This is a slurred and doubled print.  See my Plates of the Eagles, page 138.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 11:07:57 PM by Farley Katz »
Farley Katz
San Antonio

Martin "Spuff" Spufford

• View Profile
pLATE ERROR. dEFORMED "correos"
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 06:23:17 PM »
I have looked in the Mexicana Jan 1988 pp30-32 but find no reference to this.
Does anyone have a print reference ?
Farley!! Are you updating the plate errors discovered so far on the Eagles?
spuff