Author Topic: Pre-stamp colonial (?) letters up for auction...  (Read 1668 times)

Marc Gonzales

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-stamp colonial (?) letters up for auction...
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 02:58:41 PM »
Mike,
Chiguagua is an earlier spelling for Chihuahua.  Covers with the Chiguagua cancellation are fairly common.  The significant aspect of the lots you mention are the very early New Mexico cancellations "nuevo mexico" and Tome which are both very rare.   The next lots from early Texas are also very interesting, one addressed to Bexar which is San Antonio I believe.  Nice covers.
Marc Gonzales

Mike Trimble

• View Profile
Pre-stamp colonial (?) letters up for auction...
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 02:54:01 PM »
Was perusing portions of the Risvold collection up for auction at Spink/Shreve (January 27-29, 2010).  There is a TON of early US fur trade material for sale, and a few earlier covers. The US portion is substantial and noteworthy, but I also stumbled across a pair of Mexico colonial letters (1820's) to "Chiguagua".

I can't get the catalog/descriptions on the Spink/Shreve's site to load on my computer (is it on there site yet, or is it an issue w/ my computer?), but you can read descriptions and view them on Stamp Auction Network here:

http://stampauctionnetwork.com/f/f1211.cfm#2

Look at Lots  17 & 18. If you like US history (postal and otherwise), the rest of the material is fabulous too!

Merry Christmas / Feliz Navidad from Missouri!!!
(where we have a light dusting of snow)

Mike Trimble