Author Topic: Pan-American Expedition  (Read 3409 times)

Bubba Bland

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pan-American Expedition
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 10:32:53 AM »
I would think these to be philatelic, considering almost all philatelic covers are also historical in nature, i.e. First Day Covers, First Flight and expedition types. I think that a certain amount of historical nature can be had out of almost any cover. Although most collectors disdain covers that have out of use stamps, stamp sets, gold plated stamps on cover and Maxi card, others still collect such thing and love them (until they get ready to be sold); nevertheless, they do fall into the collectible, if that is your cup of tea.

I find your covers interesting for probably the same reason you do, the fact that someone in 1941 could make such a trip. Interestingly, I read recently about a couple that were doing somewhat the same thing and even 70 years later, this type adventure is still fraught with difficulties. I just wonder if your two guys actually made the full trip they hope to make. Obviously, they were likely sending the covers to their patrons that were helping finance the journey.  I say go for it if you can get enough material together.
A collector of Dos Reales of the first design. Always having fun.

Pete Taylor

• View Profile
Pan-American Expedition
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 08:06:14 PM »
   A few years ago I acquired two covers on Ebay from two seperate dealers that were used to commemorate the “Richardson Pan-American Highway Expedition” in 1940-41. The first cover caught my interest because it was cancelled with a Shimmer type O9 cancel from Tequisisltan, Oaxaca (town not covered in Shimmer). The second cover was cancelled in Tapachula, Chiapas, with a large, circular cancel common to the period. A few weeks ago I acquired 3 more of these covers from a single dealer; two from Nogales, Sonora, and one from Mexico City.
   Apparently 3 crazy guys decided to drive from Detroit to Cape Horn in a 1941 Plymouth sedan....and made it! The covers were obviously printed up prior to departure; the cache on the covers comes in at least 3 colors. I have a red, a green, and 3 blues. The question this brings up is “are these covers philatelic or are they historical?”
   The Nogales covers are dated 9 Nov 40, the Mexico City cover is 17 Dec 40, the Tequisistlan cover is 25 Jan 41, and the Tapachula cover is dated 15 Feb 41. Pretty slow going.
   I would like to know if anyone on Meximail has other covers from this Expedition, either from Mexico or further south. I'd love to get enough material to do an exhibit on this venture.