Author Topic: Vera Cruz to New York 1865  (Read 3997 times)

Bob Watson

• View Profile
Re: Vera Cruz to New York 1865
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 06:28:21 PM »
Apparently the Avosetta did arrive in NY on June 4, 1865. I missed the listing, but Stephen Tedesco was able to find it for me (see here ). That Library of Congress site is quite useful, but I find it’s best to browse rather than search for a specific word.

Bubba Bland

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Vera Cruz to New York 1865
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 06:13:12 PM »
In May of 1865 the Civil War had just come to a close. Many letter sent from Mexico found their way to New Orleans and placed on trains to places such as New York. However, with the ending of the Civil War, trains were no longer doing transport an the letter could have easily been placed on another outward bound ship to the East Coast of the US. If not docketed on the cover it would be difficult to determine just what inward bound ship brought this cover on to New York.
I would try to find another ship that arrived on June 5th or the day before, coming from New Orleans.
Bubba
A collector of Dos Reales of the first design. Always having fun.

Bob Watson

• View Profile
Vera Cruz to New York 1865
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 01:06:10 PM »
Can anyone help with the ships and routing for this cover? It was sent from Vera Cruz 6 May 1865 "per Avosetta" accordng to the dateline. (This ship had several variant spellings, "Avosetto", "Avocetta" etc.) I haven't been able to find the Avosetta arriving at New York on or before Jun 5 1865, the date on the New York Ship Letter postmark. A couple of possibilites occur to me:
  • The Avosetta carried it only part of the way and transshipped it to another vessel for the New York run,
  • It was carried by another vessel entirely.