Author Topic: New Article about Colonial Latin American Covers  (Read 5402 times)

Farley Katz

• View Profile
Re: New Article about Colonial Latin American Covers
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 04:01:45 PM »
   I think the cover reads as follows:

A mi Senor el Com[endado]r Ysasaga
  Factor de la Casa de la Contratacyon
  En[?] Sevylla
To my Lord Commander Ysasaga / Factor of the House of Trade / In Seville
The “Casa de la Contratación” or the House of Trade in Seville (1503-1790), later known as the Supreme Council of the Indies, was founded by Queen Isabella in 1503 to manage and control all trading with the East Indies.  All goods had to pass through the institution and pay the “quinto,” a 20% tax, to the Crown. On August 20, 1509, Ochoa de Isásaga was named the “Comendador” or chief of the Casa de la Contratación.   
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 05:40:56 PM by Farley Katz »
Farley Katz
San Antonio

Farley Katz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 10:57:23 PM »
Here is an image from the article of the 1509 cover sent from Caparra in Puerto Rico to Seville, Spain.
Farley Katz
San Antonio

Fernando P-M

• Dealer Member
    • View Profile
    • La Filatelia Mexicana
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 09:05:12 PM »
If my memory does not fail me, that must be the same letter that I was able to have in my hands some years ago, and it was written by the Mexico City Bishop Fray Juan de Zumarraga to Queen Isabella of Spain. It was part of the fabulous collection of Mr. Isaac Backal.

Regards,

Fernando PM

Marc Gonzales

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:50:25 PM »
I got to meet Leo in Chicagopex last year as well as Jesus Sitja who was really a gentleman.  Leo had a one frame exhibit but the show stopper in my mind was Sr. Sitja's exhibit on Colonial Maritime mail.  It was hard to believe the depth and breadth of this exhibit, what floored me was seeing the oldest letter known from the new world dated 1509.  Keep in mind this letter was sent only 17 years after Columbus first arrived and predated the conquest of the Aztecs by 12 years!!! 
Marc
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 09:13:24 PM by Marc Gonzales »

Bubba Bland

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 10:40:25 AM »
I have read with delight this great article on Latin American Postal History, and the many first it has. I would like to send a personal congratulation to Leo J. Harris for such a wonderful article. He is not a member of MEPSI, but indeed we would honored if he became one. So, if any of you have contact information on Mr. Harris, please let me know by private email.
A collector of Dos Reales of the first design. Always having fun.

Farley Katz

• View Profile
New Article about Colonial Latin American Covers
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 10:21:17 PM »
There is an interesting new article in this month's (February) American Philatelist (APS) about Latin American colonial covers.  It's entitled "They Really Were First!" by Leo J. Harris, and makes the point that colonial mail was innovative in a number of respects. Several Mexican covers are illustrated.  See attached example.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 12:21:37 AM by Farley Katz »
Farley Katz
San Antonio