Author Topic: 12 ctv Mulitas in Orange Brown  (Read 4750 times)

Rich Daffner

• View Profile
Re: 12 ctv Mulitas in Orange Brown
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 11:09:05 PM »
From Karl Schimmers collection.  I'll look up his notes on these and post.

Fernando P-M

• Dealer Member
    • View Profile
    • La Filatelia Mexicana
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 07:41:50 AM »
I find the last paragraph on page 39, very interesting when Col. Shelton mentions:

"It remains to be seen if the Scott editors eventually will change their listing. Otherwise it appears to be a waste of effort and paper to continue communication with the Scott catalog people."

When that was exposed, Shelton gathered a group of collectors to indivilually contact the Scott Editors about suggesting that they list this variety to no avail. Among those that sent letters to Scott that I remember were John K. Bash, Dr. Karl H. Schimmer, Roberto Liera, George Black, William Delano, Joe Stuart, myself and several others, but it all proved to be "a waste of effort and paper".

Regards,

Fernando PM

Tad Mackie

• Administrator
  • So many stamps, so little time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 12:08:56 AM »
The relevant pages are attached as a pdf file.  (In the copy I took it from it was pages 37-38.)

Regards,

Tad Mackie
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 12:12:28 AM by Tad Mackie »

Fernando P-M

• Dealer Member
    • View Profile
    • La Filatelia Mexicana
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 10:28:41 PM »
Col. Bill Shelton at a MEPSI Meeting in Chicago gathered the Expert Comittee and explained very clearly why the brown variety of the 12cents should not be considered a Color Error, but a variety.

Unfortunately his thesis was never published in MEXICANA, but it is completely transcribed in pages 37-39 of the Schimmer 1995 book on the Centenary of the Mail Transportation Issue, edited by MEPSI.

Regards,

Fernando PM

Bubba Bland

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 05:19:55 PM »
The problem with this color is that the Oange Brown does not come from an Olive Brown even in color changelings. In these colors the changeling would normally go from Orange to Brown, not the other way around.
I thought it may be a horizontally wove paper if it came from the watermark sideways paper with a missing watermark on this stamp. But Nick does not report any CORREOSEUM watermark sideways for the 12 centavos.
So, is there any indication that my theory could be correct or did any of the later Unwatermarked issue have this color as wells as the Olive Brown?
B
A collector of Dos Reales of the first design. Always having fun.

Mark Banchik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 04:14:40 PM »
There is some variation in colors from ink batch to ink batch. Light, time, +/- of moisture during storage, and other external factors can also affect visible color. The 12c value is known with the 3 watermark styles (no 'sideways' CORREOS EUM), and unwatermarked. Differentiation between 'CORREOS EUM' without watermark (usually 1 row/sheet) and unwatermarked is grain (Vert on watermarked/'missing' watermark) and Horiz. on later non-watermarked issue. The later unwatermarked issue paper is also slightly thicker, and more opaque then the watermarked paper. Go with paper and watermark over slight color variations in assigning stamp identity.
Mark

Bubba Bland

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
12 ctv Mulitas in Orange Brown
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 11:58:05 PM »
In a recent purchase I pick up this odd item. Nick list the Orange Brown 12ctv under the Correoseum watermark issues, but this particular item is horizontal grain and has no watermark. It is in Mint No Gum and the paper show no signs of bleaching or chemical deterioration found on chemically enhance item.
I don't have my copy of Schimmer's book on the Mulitas, and it is a long process of digging aound in my garage to find it. I don't even know it he would have had an answer to this, but you may. Please let me know your ideas.
Bubba
A collector of Dos Reales of the first design. Always having fun.